Friday, October 29, 2010

And So It Begins!

July 2010


As I entered the domains of Kumaon Hostel, I had the same feeling I once had while entering Durgadas House in Mayo. Looking for my name on the notice boards, I searched for Rancho & Raju. It was a deja vu moment for me keeping in mind that '3 Idiots' had already released. It seemed that the hostel was waiting for me. Kumaon also has its own family of Megabyte, Gigabyte and Kilobyte.

On the very first day I stupidly locked my cupboard with a click lock leaving my keys inside. Thanx to DJ, Deepak, Anurag and Arpit, who were like 'friends in need and friends indeed' ,helped me through.

"I welcome you all to the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi", the name sounded much more heavier when it came out of the IIT Delhi's Director's mouth. We were seated in the historic Dogra Hall for our first orientation program. Probably this was the moment, I was unknowingly waiting for, since the past 2 years. Putting it is Isshaan Ghosh's words, I was in the college of my dreams. Stupid thoughts rained in my mind - "what if this place was bombarded with missiles, the country would lose a some hundreds of geeks!"

My course coordinator's name is Sunil Pandey. The prof tells ,in a very dissimilar fashion in which Pramod Kumar Ranwaka told us that he had taught Vivek Oberoi in Mayo, that he has taught Chetan Bhagat. The former was lying beyond a shadow of doubt. The words were sharply thrown from his mouth but became blunt before reaching our ears. And then came one of his famous lines - "I am a kind of professor who produces only Rachos and not the Chatur Ramalingams." Hmmm, impressively said!

Devesh, Yuvraj, Parth etc. etc. were amongst the few people who had asked me "Ragging ho gayi?" as if it is an official and a prestigious event. Ragging is no where inside the periphery of Kumaon. 'Culture' is a word synonymous with the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment